This is an easy recipe to make for a side dish. It is sweet, spicy, crisp and delicious. It is a spin on plain ordinary vegetables. I love having this as a side dish and make it often. You can adjust the heat to your preference if you do not like it too spicy. It does not take much effort to make as the majority of the time the vegetables will be marinating in the sauce.
I only let the vegetables marinate for about 2 hours before grilling. This ensures the vegetables stay crisp. The flavors of this side dish pair well with anything as the seasoning is very simple.
2 squash, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
2 zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
1 lemon, juiced
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 cup hot sauce or sriracha
1 tsp red pepper flakes
3 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil
- In a large bowl combine the lemon juice, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, hot sauce, red pepper flakes, maple syrup and coconut oil until well combined.
- Add the squash and zucchini and toss to coat well.
- Let the vegetables marinate for about 2 hours.
- When ready, heat up a grill pan over high heat until the pan is hot. Turn the heat down to medium-high.
- Add the vegetables in an even layer and cook 3-5 minutes per side. You will have grill marks on each side and the vegetables should be tender-crisp and not soggy.
- When you have golden grill marks and the vegetables are tender-crisp remove from the pan and place in a serving dish.
- When the vegetables are all grilled and in the dish, you can serve them. I serve them hot off the grill.
You can omit the hot sauce and just use the red pepper flakes or omit the spice all together for a lemon pepper flavor. Both are equally delicious.