This is an easy recipe to make for a side dish. It is sweet, spicy, crisp and delicious. It is a spin on plain ordinary vegetables. I love having this as a side dish and make it often. You can adjust the heat to your preference if you do not like it too spicy. It does not take much effort to make as the majority of the time the vegetables will be marinating in the sauce.
I only let the vegetables marinate for about 2 hours before grilling. This ensures the vegetables stay crisp. The flavors of this side dish pair well with anything as the seasoning is very simple.
2 squash, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
2 zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
1 lemon, juiced
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 cup hot sauce or sriracha
1 tsp red pepper flakes
3 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil
- In a large bowl combine the lemon juice, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, hot sauce, red pepper flakes, maple syrup and coconut oil until well combined.
- Add the squash and zucchini and toss to coat well.
- Let the vegetables marinate for about 2 hours.
- When ready, heat up a grill pan over high heat until the pan is hot. Turn the heat down to medium-high.
- Add the vegetables in an even layer and cook 3-5 minutes per side. You will have grill marks on each side and the vegetables should be tender-crisp and not soggy.
- When you have golden grill marks and the vegetables are tender-crisp remove from the pan and place in a serving dish.
- When the vegetables are all grilled and in the dish, you can serve them. I serve them hot off the grill.
You can omit the hot sauce and just use the red pepper flakes or omit the spice all together for a lemon pepper flavor. Both are equally delicious.
Published by The Southern Rustic
Thank you so much for stopping by. Let me tell you a little bit about me. I am a mom of two, a stepmom of 1, two wild and silly pups, and I have the best husband in the world. I also have a love of cooking and baking. I am always in the kitchen finding new recipes to try, recreating old family recipes, and reminiscing about the old ways. I am vintage at heart and love all things old and cast iron. I love spending time with the family and pups and just going where life takes us.
I created my blog a few years ago with my youtube channel because I thought that If I shared a recipe, then people just might like to see just how the recipe is put together. I share all of my family recipes along with today's recipes. Whether it is old-fashioned recipes, sourdough, einkorn, desserts, sheet pan meals, or even crockpot meals, they are all absolutely delicious.
I spend hours, if not days, creating and dabbling with recipes to make sure they are the best for you and your family. All of my recipes are family tested and family-approved before they are ever posted to my blog or youtube channel.
Every now and again I will share some behind-the-scenes fun and chaos of our creations and family adventures. I hope you all stick around and join us here at The Southern Rustic and see what we cook up in my kitchen. You can find all of my social media information in the Contact/Donate OR the Social Media Accounts tab on my home page. There I have listed my Instagram pages, YouTube channel, Email, and other information so you can easily find everything in one place.
I hope that you all have a wonderful, wonderful day and I will see you soon.
View all posts by The Southern Rustic