This is a very simple dish that is perfect for summer.
1 lb penne pasta ( I use spinach or beet pasta)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 c cherry tomatoes, halved
3/4 c peas, thawed
1/2 c vegetable broth
2 tbsp basil leaves, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook until tender. About 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. Keep 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Over medium heat add a little plain water to the pan and add the asparagus and cook for about 3 minutes or until the asparagus is tender.
- Add the tomatoes and the peas. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook until the tomatoes are tender. About 10 -12 minutes or until the tomatoes start to burst and the liquid is reduced by half.
- add the pasta to the mixture and toss to coat. Add the pasta water if the mixture is to dry. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed but not an option.
Pour into a serving bowl and serve.