2 1/4 flour
2/3 c yellow cornmeal
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 flax eggs ( 2 tbsp flax mixed with 1/4 c water)
3/4 cup coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla
1/3 c molasses
3/4 c plant-based milk
3/4 c brown sugar
zest of 1 orange
juice of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 350*.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine the flax eggs, oil and brown sugar. Add the molasses, milk, orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla.
- In two batches add the flour to the wet ingredients and gently mix together.
- Grease and flour either a loaf pan or bundt pan and pour in the batter. Level off.
- Place the pan on a sheet pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Place a plate on top of the pan and flip over. Leave the pan upside down on the plate so the cake comes out clean. Should take about 15 minutes. You can also line with parchment paper before baking for easy removal.
- Cut with serrated knife and place on a plate. Top with cocowhip and enjoy.