This is a southern traditional dish in the south. It is made from corn and is a staple breakfast item. You can serve grits in numerous ways. This recipe makes a lot of grits that can feed a crowd. You can adapt the measurements for smaller portions.
3 cups water (1 cup water for a smaller portion)
1 cup grits (3 tbsp for a smaller portion)
1 tsp salt ( to taste)
1/2 tsp pepper (to taste)
3 tbsp vegan butter ( 1 tbsp)
- In a large saucepan ( or a medium saucepan for a smaller portion) Add water and bring to a boil over medium heat. When the water starts to boil sprinkle in the grits while whisking constantly.
- When the grits start to thicken add the salt and pepper to taste and whisk to combine.
- Turn the heat off and let the mixture stand for about 15 to 20 minutes covered with a lid.
- Remove the lid and add the butter and stir to combine. Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- ladle into a serving bowl and serve.