I have served this exact recipe on my table for years. I created this recipe about 18 years ago when my children were just babies. Although I did leave out the spice when they were babies, However, I have added a more adult palate taste over the years. My children loved meatballs and still do. I love making this as a Sunday dinner or any weeknight meal. It is absolutely delish. You can certainly omit the heat if you have young ones who can not tolerate the heat. It is great without it. I have often served it without the heat many times. Let’s get started.
1/2 cup ground oats
2 green onions or 1/2 white onion
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
2/3 cup milk
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 lb ground beef ( you can also use pork, turkey or chicken)
1/2 cup flour – for dredging
3 tbsp oil – for frying
2 cups crushed tomatoes ( one large can)
1/2 cup ketchup ( any brand)
2 tbsp chili sauce
1 chipotle pepper ( ground -or blended smooth)
1 tbsp onion – diced
2 tbsp white distilled vinegar
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
- In a bowl combine all of the ingredients for the meatballs except for the beef, flour, and oil. Mix well. Add in the beef and mix well. Make sure it is well incorporated but do not over mix. Place on a sheet tray. When all of the meatballs are finished place in the freezer for 15 minutes. This will help the meatballs hold their shape better when cooking later. Preheat your oven to 350*
- Before cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil.
- Roll the meatballs in the flour and place in the skillet. You can make any size meatballs you like. Sear the meatballs on all sides until golden brown.If you are going to bake them in the same pan leave them in the pan. If you are using a separate dish place the meatballs in that dish. 13×9 in dish.
- In a bowl combine all of the ingredients for the sauce and whisk together well. Make sure the brown sugar is well incorporated in the sauce and there are no clumps. Pour the sauce over the meatballs evenly. Spread the mixture evenly to cover the meatballs.
- Place the dish or pan in the oven and bake the meatballs in sauce for about 40 to 45 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce is bubbly.
- Remove and let stand for 10 minutes before serving so the sauce is not extremely hot. Serve as desired or with mashed potatoes and veggies.