When elegance meets rustic this is what you get… Well, at least for a Sunday breakfast or brunch. It is spin on roasted tomatoes and eggs and grits. It is a more upscale yet rustic breakfast that does not skimp on flavor and and is on the lighter side. I love serving this for breakfast when we have company and it is always a hit and we never have left overs.
INGREDIENTS- TOMATOES WITH BUTTERMILK EGGS: serves two
1 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic- minced
salt and pepper – to taste
1/4 tsp thyme
1 cup cherry tomatoes – whole
3 tbsp buttermilk
GRITS: serves 4
3 1/2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp pepper
3 tbsp butter
1 cup grits
- In a sauce pan over medium heat bring the water to a boil. Add in the salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, and butter. Stir to melt the butter.
- Slowly whisk in the grits so they do not clump up. Bring the grits to a boil and turn heat to low and whisk continuously for 10 minutes to prevent the grits from sticking and burning on the bottom of the pan. After 10 minutes and the grits are fully cooked through, remove from the heat and cover with a lid. Let stand until needed later.
- In a large skillet or non stick skillet over medium low heat add the oil and the tomatoes. Cook while stirring for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes start to burst. You can smush the tomatoes that do not burst after 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme. Stir to combine and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs and buttermilk until smooth and combined. Add them to the pan and let the eggs set on the bottom before moving the outer portion of the eggs to the center. Do this until fully cooked through.
- Remove from the pan and serve with the cajun grits and bacon or sausage.