Chicken And Gravy is a more traditional style meal. It is chicken that has been seared and cooked in a chicken based gravy. It is an old school delicious meal that has graced the southern table for many years. Every family in the south has their own rendition of this classic dish and each are equally delicious. Today I am going to share with you the recipe that I created and is a play on my grandmothers classic fried chicken in white gravy. This is a much lighter dish and yet it is a recipe that my grandmother would be proud of. Let’s get going….
1 to 2 lbs chicken thighs
4 tbsp oil ( I use olive oil or avocado oil)
1 onion – diced
4 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper – to taste
1/2 cup flour – for dredging
4 tbsp flour
1 tsp garlic – minced
1 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp natures seasoning
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes – optional
- In a bowl combine the 1/2 cup flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and natures seasoning. Mix well to combine so all of the chicken is well coated with the seasoning.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture and set aside.
- In a large cast iron or non stick skillet over med heat ( or med-low for non stick) add the oil and let the oil get hot. Preheat your oven to 375*.
- Add the chicken to the pan and sear on both sides until golden brown. About 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until tender. About 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and whisk until well combined. Let the spices toast for about 1 minute.
- Carefully whisk in the broth a little at a time until the gravy is thick and smooth. Check for seasoning and adjust to your liking. If the broth is to thick add more water, 1/4 cup at a time until you get the consistency that you like.
- Add the chicken back to the pan with the gravy and spoon some of the gravy on top if you prefer or leave the chicken bare. Turn the heat off and carefully place the chicken in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove and let stand about 10 minutes. Skim off any fat that accumulates at the top and top with parsley. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice.