Sometimes we all need convenience in our lives. This recipe is just that. Convenient, easy, delicious, and very filling. It is my take on a classic “Red Beans And Rice” except with a spin. It has the classic flavor of red beans and rice with the added meat portion of beef tips. It makes for a healthy and delicious meal. I love cajun cooking and this recipe hits that for me.
1 lb cubed beef
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp garlic- minced
1/2 onion – diced
1/2 bell pepper – diced
2 cans red beans – drained and rinsed
1/4 tsp thyme
salt and pepper – to taste
3 cups chicken broth
3 cups rice- rinsed clean
- On the Saute function of your instant pot add the oil and the meat and cook until browned.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the seasoning, salt, pepper, and the broth. Stir to combine.
- Turn the saute function off and attach the lid. Set the lid to seal and hit the manual button and set to 20 minutes.
- Release the pressure carefully and remove the lid.
- Add 3/4 of the beans and smash 1/4 of the beans with a spoon or fork. Add the smashed beans to the mixture and stir to combine. You can leave the beans whole if you prefer.
- Add the rice and pat down into the broth. Do not stir. Attach the lid and set to seal. Hit the manual button for 3 minutes. Let release naturally for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid. Stir gently and serve.