I love sweet potatoes…. In all forms. Plain, sweet, topped with pecans, And topped with all the yummy goodness of a crumble. However you prepare a sweet potato, I am all for it. They are just delicious.
Now today I am going to share with you my favorite sweet potato side dish. It is slightly sweet with such a wonderful topping. It is going to make a delicious statement at your next gathering or a perfect side dish to your everyday dishes. I have made this particular dish for many years and it has always been a great hit. I love adding this to my Holiday table especially at Christmas. It is just absolutely fabulous. So let’s get started.
2 tbsp butter – for sweet potatoes
4 large sweet potatoes – peeled and cubed
1/4 cup milk or cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter – slightly room temp
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup pecans – chopped
1/4 tsp salt
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Preheat the oven to 375*. Remove and drain completely. Smash with a potato smasher.
- Add the butter, maple syrup, milk, and salt. Stir to combine and melt the butter. When the mixture is well mixed add the mixture to a 8×8 in baking dish. Spread out evenly.
- In a small bowl combine the pecans, butter, salt, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Mix until well combined. Sprinkle over the top of the potatoes.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Remove and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
*This is travel friendly so you can pack it up and warm it up when you get to your destination.
* You can sub out the pecans for any other nut.
* You can double or triple this recipe to fit your family size. I usually double this recipe during the holidays.