When It comes to breakfast sandwiches, this one takes the cake. It is a play on a grilled ham and cheese sandwich with a sunny side up egg and a very tasty sauce. It is fabulous. The egg and the sauce mix together and make for the perfect sauce to top this lovely sandwich. You can make this for breakfast or brunch as it is fitting for both. So let’s get into this wonderful recipe!
2 tbsp parsley – chopped ( can use dried and only 1 tbsp)
2 tbsp butter – plus more for toast and eggs
1 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp dijon mustard
4 slices of ham per person- any brand or style will work
1 slice of cheese per person – I use either white cheddar or mozzerella
1 egg per person
2 slices of bread per person – I use texas style thick cut bread
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, add your butter and let it melt. Add your flour, salt, pepper, parsley, and nutmeg and whisk together and let cook 1 minute.
- Add in your dijon mustard and whisk together. Slowly add in your milk and whisk together to mix.
- Continue to whisk and cook for about 5 minutes or so or until desired thickness. Remove and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add a bit of butter and spread around the pan. You can also spread a bit of butter on the bread. Place the bread on the pan and toast one side of the bread. flip one piece of bread over to the un-toasted side and add a slice of cheese and your ham. Place the other piece un-toasted side out on to the other half of the sandwich. Brown and toast on each side. Remove and set aside.
- Turn the pan to low and add more butter if needed and crack open your egg being careful not to break the yolk. Add a splash of water and cover with a lid and let cook for about 2 minutes or so for a sunny side up egg. If you do not like sunny side up you can certainly cook the egg through completely.
- Once your egg is cooked to your liking, top the egg on the sandwich and drizzle on some of that wonderful sauce.
Your croque madame is now ready to eat! If you like a bit of spice you can certainly add a bit of hot sauce on top. Enjoy!
This is the type of breakfast that makes you dance…lol… Have a wonderful morning.