When it comes to soup, there is nothing more classic than “Tomato Soup”. It has been on every dinner table across America for many a year. From simple ingredients to the more excessive ingredients. Each holding it’s own in individual families. It is warming to the body and soul on cold winter days and nights. Pair it with a grilled cheese and you are in heaven.
Today I am sharing with you my simple yet delicious recipe. So let’s get right on into it.
3 tbsp butter
1 onion – diced small
1 carrot – diced small
1 clove garlic – minced
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes – optional
salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, add in the butter and melt. Add in the carrot, onion, a bit of salt and pepper and toss to coat. Let cook about 5 minutes to soften the onion and carrot. Do not caramelize or brown.
- Add in the garlic and cook about 30 seconds.
- Add in the sugar, thyme, bay leaf, red pepper flakes, a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat and let cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and add in the crushed tomatoes and broth. Stir to combine. Turn heat back to medium and bring to a boil . Turn heat back to low and cook for 20 minutes. Check for seasoning and add more if needed. At this point if you want it more of a creamier texture you can blend the soup in a blender. *Be careful as hot things expand in the blender and will explode everywhere. So do a little at a time with airflow on low-ish speed.* Place back into the pan and heat through. If you want a more rich flavor add in 1/3 cup cream. Stir in and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with grilled cheese sandwiches.
I top mine with green onions. Serve it up however you prefer.