Guys! I love bagels. I love them any way you give them to me. It could be with hummus or cream cheese or an everything bagel. They are just divine.
So today I am going to share with you one of my favorite bagel recipes. I adore this recipe. I have made it for years and they are vegan. They are so soft and fluffy and you can top it with anything. They are so easy to make.
I created this recipe about 11 years ago. I was just playing around in my kitchen. I tried so many flours that day and so many ways to cook these and this recipe I made my own. I didn’t share it with anyone. I kept it to myself. When my family would come over they always expected these bagels. I have made them for all sorts of occasions from birthday breakfasts to holiday dinners. They were always a hit. No one was the wiser that they were eating vegan bagels.
So today I am going to share with you my families favorite recipe. BAGELS!
4 cups bread flour ( you can not substitute any other flour for this recipe)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 pkg yeast
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup warm water ( about 125*F)
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
- In a stand mixer combine the flour and salt. set aside.
- In a bowl combine the water and sugar. stir to dissolve. Add the yeast and stir together. Set aside to bloom for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the oil to the yeast mixture.
- Attach the dough hook to the stand mixer and turn to low.
- Carefully stream in the water and yeast mixture.
- Let this blend together to make a dough. Turn the mixer up to 2 or 3 and let blend for about 5 to 10 minutes or until the dough is elastic and smooth. The dough will pull away from the sides and become smooth. Turn off mixer.
- Remove the dough from the hook and remove from the bowl. Knead the dough for 1 to 2 minutes.
- You will not need more flour but if so use 1 tbsp spoon at a time.
- Form the dough into a ball and cut in half. Cut that half in half. Cut each quarter in half again. You should have 8 pieces of dough. Let this dough rest on the counter for about 2-3 minutes.
- Form each ball of dough into a ball and stick your thumb through the middle of the ball. Form and stretch each dough ball into a 0 shape. I usually spin the dough around two fingers until I get the desired bagel shape. Preheat your oven to 425*F.
- Place the bagels on a parchment lined sheet pan. Place a tea towel on the top and allow them to rise for about 45 minutes. They should be 3/4 in size but not doubled in size.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add in the baking soda, salt, and brown sugar. Stir to dissolve.
- Take two of the bagels and place in the water solution. Cook for 1 minute per side carefully flipping with a slotted spoon. Remove from the water and place on a wire rack to drain and cool slightly.
- Mix together the almond milk and brown sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Using a basting brush baste the almond milk mixture on to the bagels. Top with the desired topping. (list down below)
- Place into a hot oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool. ENJOY!
Salt and Pepper