This is an elegant spin on the original tomato soup. It has a classy taste and is full of robust smokey flavor. It is super simple to make and requires little work.
I make this a lot during the cold season and its great for when you’re under the weather.
1 red bell pepper
10 tomatoes, halved and seeded
1 onion, diced
1 tsp basil, chopped
1/2 tsp oregano, chopped
1 tsp coconut sugar
salt and pepper to taste
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Preheat the oven to 350*. Cut the tomatoes in half and cut out the core and squeeze out the seeds. Place them cut side down on a sheet pan lined with a Silpat.
- Cut the bell pepper in half and cut out the seeds and place the bell pepper cut side down along with the tomatoes. Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until charred.
- Carefully remove the bell pepper and tomatoes and place in a bowl and cover with a lid and let stand for 30 minutes.
- When they are cool enough to handle, carefully remove the skin and discard the skin. Place the bell pepper and tomatoes in blender or food processor and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat add a little bit of water and onion and cook until the onions are tender and soft. Add the basil and oregano and cook for about 2 minutes. Pour into the blender/processor with the tomatoes and blend until smooth. Pour back into the saucepan and turn the heat back to medium.Add the sugar and Cook for about 20- 25 minutes. Add the vegetable stock, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 10-12 minutes. Check seasoning and add more if needed. Ladle into serving bowls and serve.
I like to serve this with vegan grilled cheese.