When going Plant-based or vegan, One of the hardest things to give up for some people is eggs. I thought I would never eat the same again. I thought I could never eat certain things again, like french toast. The normal recipe calls for eggs and milk. It took me a while to figure out that there are other options to use in place of eggs. I found that certain things like chia and flax pretty much done the same thing as eggs would do in recipes. The first thing that I made when learning this was the classic French Toast.
This recipe is simple and so tasty! I make it all the time for my family and they are none the wiser. You can top these tasty little delights with any fresh fruit you have on hand or any frozen fruit as well. Let’s get into the recipe.
Here is what you will need.
2 tsp flax seed
6 tsp water
1/2 cup of unflavored unsweetened plant-based milk ( I used coconut milk -not from the can)
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt (optional)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp tapioca starch
2-4 slices of bread of choice ( I used whole grain)
1 tbsp coconut oil
- In a small bowl combine the water and the flax seed and let sit for 5-10 minutes or until gelled.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the milk, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and cinnamon and stir well. when the flax is gelled add to the milk mixture and the tapioca starch and mix well.
- Take between 2-4 slices of bread and cut into triangles.
- Heat up the oil over medium-high heat until melted, In a non-stick skillet.
- Take each slice of bread and quickly dip into the milk and flax mixture to coat each side and quickly add to the pan. cooking only 2-4 triangles at a time. cook about 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown and flip and cook an additional 2-4 minutes. Remove from the pan and place on a serving plate.
- Top with powdered sugar, a fruit of choice and maple syrup. Serve warm.
If you are not serving them right away preheat your oven to 250* and keep them on a tray in the oven until ready to serve.