What is better than dough filled with tasty fillings. You have cinnamon rolls, sweet rolls, jam-filled rolls, cream cheese-filled rolls, and fruit-filled rolls. They are all delicious. I love chocolate and Nutella so I combined that with my cinnamon roll dough and created a tasty Nutella sweet roll. Now I know there are many of these styles of Nutella rolls out there but Not like mine. These are topped with a delicious coffee glaze and it just puts them over the top.
Let me show you how I make them.
1/2 cup warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 packet yeast
1/2 cup warm milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a bowl combine the water and sugar and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the yeast mixture and stir. Set aside to bloom.
- In a bowl combine the milk, eggs, and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- To your stand mixer combine the butter, sugar, milk mixture, and yeast mixture and using the dough hook combine the mix on low speed for 2 minutes.
- With the mixer still on low speed slowly add in the flour and salt. When the mix becomes a dough-like consistency turn the mixer on speed 4 and beat the dough for 8 to 10 minutes.
- When this is done remove the dough from the mixer, leaving the dough in the bowl. Spray the top with oil spray and cover with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour. I put mine in the oven with the oven off and the light on.
- In the meantime in a small bowl combine the cinnamon mixture. Combine the butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and flour. Mix this well until no lumps are left from the butter. Chill in the fridge until ready to use.
- When the dough is ready, sprinkle your counter with flour. Use enough to keep the dough from sticking to the counter. Pour the dough onto the counter. knead the dough for about 30 seconds. you want the dough to keep as many air bubbles as possible. Flour the top of the dough and your rolling pin and roll the dough out to about or between 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch thick.
NUTELLA CENTER INGREDIENTS:
1 Small jar of Nutella – room temp or warmed in a bowl
1 C. Milk chocolate chips ( optional)
TO COMBINE THE DOUGH AND FILLING:
- Once your dough is rolled out to 1/4 inch thick, Spread the Nutella all over the dough making sure to leave a 1-inch border on the furthest side from you.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips ( if using) evenly over the top.
- Taking the side that is closest to you roll up the dough and mixture tightly until you get to the end of the other side. Pinch the seam together and place the seam side down on the counter.
- Using an unflavored floss (or knife) Slice the dough into 2-inch pieces. Place on a greased baking dish about 1 inch apart. Cover with a tea towel and let rise while you preheat your oven to 425*. About 30 minutes.
- Remove the tea towel and place in the oven and bake for about 25 to 35 minutes. The tops should be golden brown and the center should be cooked through.
- In the meantime, while the sweet rolls are cooking, make your coffee glaze. (recipe follows) Once the sweet rolls are done, remove them and let them cool for 5 minutes.
COFFEE GLAZE INGREDIENTS:
2 C. powdered sugar
1 Tsp vanilla
1Tsp Instant espresso powder
Milk (about 4 tbsp give or take) OR water
- In a bowl whisk together all of the ingredients until smooth. The glaze should be thick but pourable.
- Once the sweet rolls are done pour the glaze over the sweet rolls as evenly as you can. Let them set for about 10 to 20 minutes so the rolls can absorb some of that tasty glaze.
- Store these in an airtight container on the counter for 3 days or in the fridge for 1 week. You can heat these up via the microwave or the oven. Place one or two on a plate and heat them up for 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave. For the oven, place on a small sheet tray lined with parchment and bake for 10 minutes at 350*.