Labneh is a middle eastern yogurt that has been drained until ultra thick, kind of like cream cheese. It is so good. I absolutely love it.
Now, I am not going to boil a mixture of cream and milk to make yogurt. We are going the easy route and using greek yogurt. It is so much easier and less time. I am all about making things from scratch, but this is a recipe that you can use your favorite greek style plain yogurt and it does the job and turns out just as delicious.
You can use this recipe for so many things such as dips, sauces, spreads, and so much more. the sky is the limit as to where you can use labneh.
Let me share with you how I make it.
2 C. Plain greek yogurt
1 1/2 Tsp Kosher salt
- Combine the yogurt and salt in a bowl and stir to combine well.
- Place a cheesecloth in a mesh strainer over a bowl. Scoop the yogurt out and place the mixture into the strainer.
- Cover the yogurt with the ends of the cheesecloth and place a small plate with a heavy can or something similar on to weigh the plate down to help strain the yogurt.
- Place in the fridge overnight to drain.
- When ready, remove the yogurt mixture from the cheesecloth and add it to a bowl or jar and cover it with a lid. Keep cold until ready to serve.
- This will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- If you do not want to make this much you can half the recipe or triple the recipe.
- To make Jameed “Labneh Balls”: Take some of the prepared labneh and scoop out 1 tbsp of the mixture and roll it into balls. Place in a small jar. Once you get as many as you would like in the jar, fill the jar with olive oil and green onion slices. If you do not want to add the green onion slices just add olive oil. Place the lid on the jar and chill in the fridge overnight to marinate. You can use this as a spread on sandwiches such as grilled cheese. It adds wonderful flavor. The sky is the limit as to where you can use these for your dishes.