I love pizza. It is one of my many faults in life. They are just so good and you can put so many wonderful things on a pizza. From the classic cheese pizza to everything but the fridge pizza, they are all pretty dang tasty in my book.
I am going to share with you one of my favorite classic pizzas that are so simple to make but are classically delicious. This is my Margherita Pizza. A few super simple ingredients and you have a simple tasty dinner.
Here we go.
1-2 dough balls ( your favorite brand will do just fine or homemade if you prefer)
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes ( any brand will do)
Fresh Mozzarella – torn or diced
Fresh basil – About 1/4 cup torn
- Pre-heat the oven to 425*.
- In a bowl add the crushed tomatoes, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp olive oil, and 1 to 3 leaves of torn basil. Stir together and sit aside.
- Stretch or roll the dough out to about 10 inches leaving the border airy. Only work the center of the dough. this will help the crust get puffy and airy. If you are rolling the dough out this is kind of tricky so if you can not do this step, it is ok. It will taste just as good. Add the dough to your pizza pan or dish.
- Spread 1/2 of the crushed tomato mixture onto the dough and evenly spread it out leaving a 1-inch border for the crust to rise.
- Drizzle over about 1 tbsp olive oil and brush a bit on the crust to make sure the crust gets golden brown.
- Top with half of the fresh mozzarella evenly.
- Place the pizza into the hot oven being careful not to burn yourself. Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove and top with the torn basil evenly. Slice and serve.
- I do not cook mine until the cheese is brown (if I can help it) but if you prefer your cheese to be a bit more golden you can cook it longer or pop it under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep an eye on it because the cheese will burn rather quickly.
- I love serving mine with either garlic butter or ranch… Possibly a side salad or raw veggies for dipping in ranch. You serve it how you like.