When It comes to a weeknight meal we can typically get stuck in a rut with the same ol’ chicken this and beef that… This recipe will help you get out of that rut and it is something new your family will enjoy that is not only different but delicious.
Let’s get started.
1 egg- beaten
2 cloves garlic – minced
3 green onions- chopped
1/4 cup (or 1 tsp dried) parsley- chopped
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup bread crumbs or 1 cup cooked couscous
2 tbsp dried mint
2 tsp dried oregano
a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper – to taste
2 lbs ground turkey
1 jar marinara sauce
1 cinnamon stick (or 1 tsp ground cinnamon)
1 tbsp brown sugar
- In a bowl combine everything except the ground turkey and the sauce ingredients.
- Once you have everything combined well you can add in the ground turkey. Mix with your hands or a fork until well combined making sure not to compact the meat too much.
- Shape the meat mixture into whatever size meatballs you prefer and place them on a plate. You can chill them for 1 hour if you like.
- To a large pan add a bit of oil and turn the heat to medium-low. When the pan is hot add in a few of the meatballs and cook for about 2 minutes per side. They will finish cooking in the oven later. Remove them to a greased baking dish with high sides.
- Once you have all of your meatballs finished you can mix together the sauce.
- In a bowl combine the sauce ingredients and mix well. Pour the sauce evenly over the meatballs.
- Place in a 350* oven and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes or until the meatballs are completely cooked through and the sauce is bubbly.
- Remove and let stand for about 10 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick if you used one.
- I love serving this with quinoa and some sort of steamed veggie. You can serve this with pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes if you prefer. It will be just as delicious.
- You can use whatever pasta sauce is your favorite. I use tomato basil or garlic and herb.
- If you do not want to use brown sugar (which gives this a unique depth of flavor) you can add regular sugar instead or a bit of honey. The honey will give this a more floral flavor but it is quite tasty.
- If you have a smaller family you can quite easily half this recipe.