We all love some delicious crockpot meals, but we often forget that we can make a lot of different things besides just the main dish in the slowcooker. Take this “Barley With Currants And Pine Nuts” for example. It is so easy and delicious and pairs well with so many main dishes. The crockpot/slowcooker is great for many other things such as side dishes, drinks, and desserts.
Let me share with you one of many of our favorite slowcooker side dishes.
2 tbsp butter
1 onion – finely chopped (or 1/2 large onion)
1 cup quick-cooking barley
2 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper – to taste
1/3 cup currants
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 tsp brown sugar
- In a skillet over medium low heat add the butter and the onion. Cook until the onion is tender and translucent. Add the onion to a small 1 1/2 quart slowcooker.
- Add the remainin ingredients, except the pine nuts, and stir to combine.
- cover with the lid and cook for 2-3 hours on low or 1-2 hours on high or until the barley is tender and cooked through. The broth should all be absorbed by the barley.
- When the barley is done add the pine nuts and fluff together with a fork until well combined. Check the seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Serve with your next main dish.
- You can use pearl barley if you can not find the quick cooking barley. Either will work in this dish.
- toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet over low heat until golden for a more toasted flavor in the dish.
- You can use veggie broth in place of chicken broth if that is what you prefer.
- If you can not find currants, you can chop up some red or golden raisins and add to the dish. It will alter the flavor slightly but will still be delicious.