This is the easiest and tastiest Turmeric rice. It is all done in the instant pot so it is a no-hassle side dish. Minimal dishes to clean and goes great with any Indian dish. I love to serve this with my Tandoori Chicken, but it pairs well with any Indian dish.
1 tbsp neutral oil – I use avocado or sometimes olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 cup rice – rinsed well
1 cup water
1/2 onion – diced small
2 tsp or 4 garlic cloves – minced
1 tsp turmeric
- Turn your instant pot to the sautee function and add in your oil and butter.
- Add in the onion and cook until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the rice and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add the turmeric and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the water, or you can use chicken broth or vegetable broth, stir to combine well.
- Attach the lid and set to seal. Hit the off button and then hit the rice function. It will cook for about 10 minutes. Let it naturally release the steam. Fluff with a fork and serve with your Indian dish of choice.
- You can add a bit of heat with a chili pepper of choice. You can seed the chili or not. That is up to you. Just remember that the seeds pack a punch with heat, but the rib or the pith part contains capsaicin which is very spicy, so add as much as you are comfortable with or leave it out all together.
- You can add red pepper flakes if you want a more mild heat. (depending on how much you add. Start with a 1/4 tsp and work your way up in heat)
- Add some cilantro before serving for bit of fresh flavor.
- You can double or even triple this recipe to feed your family size.