This is the easiest and tastiest Turmeric rice. It is all done in the instant pot so it is a no-hassle side dish. Minimal dishes to clean and goes great with any Indian dish. I love to serve this with my Tandoori Chicken, but it pairs well with any Indian dish.
1 tbsp neutral oil – I use avocado or sometimes olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 cup rice – rinsed well
1 cup water
1/2 onion – diced small
2 tsp or 4 garlic cloves – minced
1 tsp turmeric
- Turn your instant pot to the sautee function and add in your oil and butter.
- Add in the onion and cook until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the rice and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add the turmeric and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the water, or you can use chicken broth or vegetable broth, stir to combine well.
- Attach the lid and set to seal. Hit the off button and then hit the rice function. It will cook for about 10 minutes. Let it naturally release the steam. Fluff with a fork and serve with your Indian dish of choice.
- You can add a bit of heat with a chili pepper of choice. You can seed the chili or not. That is up to you. Just remember that the seeds pack a punch with heat, but the rib or the pith part contains capsaicin which is very spicy, so add as much as you are comfortable with or leave it out all together.
- You can add red pepper flakes if you want a more mild heat. (depending on how much you add. Start with a 1/4 tsp and work your way up in heat)
- Add some cilantro before serving for bit of fresh flavor.
- You can double or even triple this recipe to feed your family size.
Published by The Southern Rustic
Thank you so much for stopping by. Let me tell you a little bit about me. I am a mom of two, a stepmom of 1, two wild and silly pups, and I have the best husband in the world. I also have a love of cooking and baking. I am always in the kitchen finding new recipes to try, recreating old family recipes, and reminiscing about the old ways. I am vintage at heart and love all things old and cast iron. I love spending time with the family and pups and just going where life takes us.
I created my blog a few years ago with my youtube channel because I thought that If I shared a recipe, then people just might like to see just how the recipe is put together. I share all of my family recipes along with today's recipes. Whether it is old-fashioned recipes, sourdough, einkorn, desserts, sheet pan meals, or even crockpot meals, they are all absolutely delicious.
I spend hours, if not days, creating and dabbling with recipes to make sure they are the best for you and your family. All of my recipes are family tested and family-approved before they are ever posted to my blog or youtube channel.
Every now and again I will share some behind-the-scenes fun and chaos of our creations and family adventures. I hope you all stick around and join us here at The Southern Rustic and see what we cook up in my kitchen. You can find all of my social media information in the Contact/Donate OR the Social Media Accounts tab on my home page. There I have listed my Instagram pages, YouTube channel, Email, and other information so you can easily find everything in one place.
I hope that you all have a wonderful, wonderful day and I will see you soon.
View all posts by The Southern Rustic