I love making roast chicken of some sort especially when I really don’t feel like making a whole bunch of things. Roast chicken with a side salad or some roasted veggies and that is a wrap for me. lol. When I am entertaining I do make this recipe with a whole chicken and it is great. Just sort out the cooking time and it’s a done deal.
The orange and cardamom pair really well with chicken and the way it is roasted makes for a juicy and flavorful roast chicken. For the chicken to be simply seasoned it really has a great flavor. Did I mention it was easy to make?
Let’s get started.
3 Tbsp butter – slightly melted
Salt And Pepper
2 Cloves Garlic – Minced
1/2 Tsp cardamom (heaping tsp)
1/2 Tsp fresh thyme
Zest Of 1 Orange
Juice Of 1 Orange
- Preheat the oven to 425*.
- Line a sheet tray with parchment and place a oven safe wire rack on top. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the butter, salt, pepper, garlic, cardamom, orange zest, and orange juice until well combined. You can chill this if you prefer for about 20 minutes to set the butter to a more firm texture.
- Using your index finger, gently separate the skin from the meat of the chicken to make a sort of pocket. Scoop some of the butter mixture between the skin and meat. Be careful not to tare the skin or pull the skin completely off the meat.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the skin of the chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste. You can also add a bit more cardamom on the skin as well for a bit more flavor.
- Place in the oven for about 35 to 45 minutes. This time may vary depending on if you use thighs, breasts, or legs. No matter which one you choose, cook until the internal temp is at 165* to 170* at the thickest part of the meat. Remove and let stand about 5 minutes before serving. This helps the juices redistribute back into the chicken and skin and get that beautiful crisp on the outside.
- Now, in the above picture I have tomatoes with the chicken. That is because we served this chicken with a side salad on this day and we have a ton of tomatoes in our garden. so, why not.
- This dish is not an overly seasoned recipe. It is simply seasoned and so good.
- You can use what ever type of chicken cut you like. Thighs, breasts, legs, and maybe even wings. I would mix everything together and baste the wings during the cooking process.
- If you are doing a whole roast chicken then I would follow the above instructions and bake for about about 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes depending on the size of your chicken. Remember to check the internal temp for 165 to 170 degrees. Insert the thermometer into the inner thigh area near the breast just above the leg but do not touch the bone with the thermometer.
- If you want step by step instructions on how to put any of my recipes together you can always visit my channel via the link below and give me a sub while you’re there. lol..
One thought on “Roasted Chicken With Orange And Cardamom”