This recipe that I am sharing with you is a recipe that I have been making for at least 15+ years. I made this for my children when they were young. I needed meals that where quick, could be prepared in one pan, and delicious. My kids where not really too picky when it came to eating. I was very blessed having babies that loved food. This is a meal that I prepared often when my kids were growing up. We loved and still love this meal. If you love salisbury steak, Then you are going to love this recipe. So, let’s get right on into the recipe.
FOR THE MEATBALLS-
1 LB ground beef
1 tbsp parsley
2 cloves garlic – minced or 1 tsp garlic powder
1 green onion – sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp tomato paste
1/2 cup flour
FOR THE SAUCE:
1/4 cup oil – I use avocado oil
1 onion – roughly chopped
2 cups beef broth
salt and pepper
3/4 tsp thyme
1/4 cup flour
- In a bowl combine the ground beef, parsley, garlic, green onion, salt and pepper, and tomato paste. Combine well.
- Form the meat mixture into meatballs and place on a plate. You can make large or small size meatballs. You do you.
- Place your flour in a bowl and gently roll the meatballs into the flour and place them back on to the plate. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet on medium low heat. Add in your oil and let the oil heat up. When the oil is hot place in your meatballs. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate. Set aside.
- Add more oil only if needed. Add in your onions, salt and pepper and cook until tender. This should take somewhere between 5 to 10 minutes. You do not want them browned just soft.
- Add in your thyme and toss. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the flour and toss well. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes to cook out the flour taste.
- Add the beef broth slowly. Add a bit and stir until all the broth is incorporated and thickened. Turn the heat to low and add the meatballs back in. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes. Stir the mixture and flip the meatballs on to the other side. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Remove to a serving dish and serve.
Now, If you do not like onions you can most certainly leave them out. You can serve this with rice and veggies or mashed potatoes with veggies……or how ever you desire.