This is one of my favorite side dishes. I love this dish. It is so easy to make and so dang good. A mixy mix here and put it in a pan…. cover it and bake…. yea it is that simple. So let’s get into this bad boy!
4 tbsp melted butter
4 large potatoes- sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 1/4 cup milk
3 tbsp flour
2 cloves garlic – minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 green onions – sliced
1 cup cheddar cheese – shredded
- Slice your potatoes and place in a bowl and cover with cool water. Set aside. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Let your potatoes soak for about 10 minutes. Drain. Spray or brush oil onto a 8×8 in pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the milk, flour, garlic, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and green onions. Mix well to combine. Set aside.
- In your pan place a single layer of potatoes in the bottom and ladle on a small amount of the milk mixture. Repeat the process until the potatoes are gone and the end with the milk mixture on top.
- Pour over your melted butter on the top and sprinkle with the cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and place back in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the potatoes are tender. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.
I often add rosemary to this dish to bump up the flavor as well as thyme. If you want a more liquid-y sauce bump up the milk to 2 cups. I do not like mine to to liquid-y per say….. but just the right amount. This side dish is so good and goes with anything. I hope you enjoy it!