In Our household we LOVE Asian food. ALL Asian food. It is just so good. It is also fairly easy to make. I love making Asian food because it is so healthy and delicious…. As in all food you can always make it more than what it needs to be with unnecessary products however, for the most part it is very healthy and they pride themselves on their food. I do not blame them one bit. It is just so darn good.
As in many Asian countries they limit their sugar intake and make all sweets, candies, cookies, desserts in general, and soda their “treat”. As they would tell you “It’s all about balance”. I find their lifestyle so fascinating and simple. I do not eat their food every day, yet I have often thought about it….lol. I guess food is just my love language. I love food and I love sharing it with everyone. With this dish I find it is more or less a “comfort food” type of style to me. I adore it. I hope you give this recipe a try. So let’s get right on into it.
1 tbsp oil ( if needed)
1 lb pork meat – diced into 1/2 inch cubes
salt and pepper to taste
3 cloves garlic – minced
1 tbsp ginger – minced
3 green onions – thinly sliced
1/3 cup black bean paste
1 onion – cubed
3 leaves of napa cabbage or 1/4 of a green cabbage – thinly sliced
1/2 zucchini – cut into matchsticks
1/4 cup rice cooking wine
1 cup chicken stock
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp water
fresh noodles (1 serving per person)
1 fried egg (per person- and sunny side up unless you prefer it cooked through)
1/2 cucumber – cut into matchsticks
- In a large skillet or wok over med high heat add the pork and cook until completely cooked through and golden brown. You can add salt and pepper to the meat if you would like at this stage.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and green onion and cook for 30 seconds. You will smell the aroma.
- Add the black bean paste and cook while stirring for about 2 minutes. This will help develop the flavor of the bean paste.
- Add the rice cooking wine and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. The alcohol will cook out and it will thicken slightly.
- Add the chicken stock, onion, cabbage, and zucchini. Toss to combine well. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime cook your noodles according to pkg directions. Drain. Rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Cook your fried egg. I cook mine sunny side up because I think the yolk gives it more flavor and creamy texture. You can cook the egg how you like it.
- After 15 minutes, combine the cornstarch and water in a bowl and add to the black bean mixture. Stir to combine and thicken. Remove the black bean mixture from the heat and plate. Here is how I like to plate it.
Place your noodles in your bowl (or plate) top with the black bean mixture, cucumber, fried egg, sesame seeds, and a little splash of sesame oil. This combo is so delicious. You can also serve this over rice ( I prefer jasmine rice but use what you have on hand) Enjoy!