If you like Chinese takeout, then you are going to love this recipe. This recipe is so delicious and has better ingredients. The flavors in this dish are amazing! The crisp of the vegetables alongside the crunchy tofu are perfectly paired. The sweet and sour sauce is so good and pairs almost authenticly with this dish. The sweet and tangy flavors, crisp veggies, and the meatiness of the tofu over a bed of warm rice…..delicious. So much better than takeout.
FOR THE SAUCE:
3 tsp cornstarch
3 tsp water
2 tsp coconut oil
1 clove garlic, minced or grated
1/2 tsp ginger, minced or grated
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 1/2 tbsp liquid aminos
1/4 tsp salt
DIRECTIONS FOR THE SAUCE:
- In a small bowl combine the cornstarch and water and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Combine all of the other ingredients in a saucepan and whisk to combine well. Turn heat to medium and cook until thickened. About 10 minutes. Remove from heat to cool.
INGREDIENTS FOR TOFU AND VEGETABLES:
1 block of firm tofu
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup paleo flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup water or seltzer water
2 cup broccoli florets
2 carrots, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- Remove the tofu from the packaging and wrap in paper towels. Press out any excess water and let set in the paper towel for about 15 minutes. Unwrap and cut the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes. Place on a clean paper towel to soak up any excess water. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the brown rice flour, paleo flour, plain flour, cornstarch, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and water. Whisk gently to combine well. Set aside.
- In a medium to large skillet over medium-high heat add a little bit of water to the pan. When the pan is hot add in the carrots and cook for about 2 minutes until just tender but still holds a crisp to it. Remove from the pan and place in a large bowl.
- Add a little more water and add the broccoli florets and cook for about 2 minutes or until tender-crisp. Remove and place in the same bowl with the carrots.
- To the same pan add the oil and turn heat to medium-low heat. Dip the tofu pieces into the batter and place carefully into the oil. Brown on all sides until golden brown. Remove from the pan and place on a paper-lined plate to drain and cool. Do this to all of the remaining tofu pieces. Let the tofu pieces cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add to the bowl with the carrots and broccoli. Carefully pour the sauce over the carrots, broccoli and tofu pieces. Toss to coat completely.
- Serve over warm white rice or brown rice if you prefer. I have also served over black rice and red rice.
3 thoughts on “Sweet And Sour Tofu With Vegetables”
WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..extra wait .. ?
I would like to get across my affection for your kind-heartedness giving support to those who absolutely need help with this topic. Your personal commitment to passing the solution all-around appeared to be particularly productive and have really encouraged guys like me to achieve their endeavors. Your valuable useful information can mean a great deal to me and especially to my colleagues. Regards; from all of us.
Nice read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch as I found it for him smile Therefore let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch!