This is a slightly spicy bread you can pair with any meal or just by itself. Either way, it is so good. Super easy to make and so moist and delicious.
1 1/2 c yellow cornmeal
1/4 c flour
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax meal plus 6 tbsp water)
2 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c cheddar shreds (vegan)
1/2 c mozzarella shreds (vegan)
1/4 c jalapenos chopped ( more or less depending on spice)
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 c plant-based milk of choice
- Pre-heat the oven to 425*
- In a small bowl combine the flax meal and water and set aside to gel.
- In a large bowl combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Mix well.
- Add the cheeses and jalapenos and toss to coat well.
- Add the flax egg and milk and stir to combine well. If the mixture is too dry for you, add more milk 1/4 cup until desired consistency. Let sit for 10 minutes. This allows the cornmeal to soften so the cornbread will not be so crumbly.
- Spray an 8×8-inch baking dish with oil spray.
- Pour in the batter and even out the top.
- Place in the oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until cooked through and the top is slightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- When the cornbread is cooled remove it from the dish and cut it into squares and serve it with vegan butter.
- If you do not want to use the flax egg, substitute it with two whole eggs and add 2 tbsp of neutral oil. I use either avocado or Crisco (melted and cool).
- For cheddar jalapeno cornbread, omit the mozzarella and add the amount of cheddar cheese to make 1 cup of grated cheese.
- This is a base recipe so you can add in any additions that you like.
Published by The Southern Rustic
Thank you so much for stopping by. Let me tell you a little bit about me. I am a mom of two, a stepmom of 1, two wild and silly pups, and I have the best husband in the world. I also have a love of cooking and baking. I am always in the kitchen finding new recipes to try, recreating old family recipes, and reminiscing about the old ways. I am vintage at heart and love all things old and cast iron. I love spending time with the family and pups and just going where life takes us.
I created my blog a few years ago with my youtube channel because I thought that If I shared a recipe, then people just might like to see just how the recipe is put together. I share all of my family recipes along with today's recipes. Whether it is old-fashioned recipes, sourdough, einkorn, desserts, sheet pan meals, or even crockpot meals, they are all absolutely delicious.
I spend hours, if not days, creating and dabbling with recipes to make sure they are the best for you and your family. All of my recipes are family tested and family-approved before they are ever posted to my blog or youtube channel.
Every now and again I will share some behind-the-scenes fun and chaos of our creations and family adventures. I hope you all stick around and join us here at The Southern Rustic and see what we cook up in my kitchen. You can find all of my social media information in the Contact/Donate OR the Social Media Accounts tab on my home page. There I have listed my Instagram pages, YouTube channel, Email, and other information so you can easily find everything in one place.
I hope that you all have a wonderful, wonderful day and I will see you soon.
View all posts by The Southern Rustic