This is a slightly spicy bread that you can pair with any meal or just by itself. Either way, it is so good. Super easy to make and so moist and delicious.
1 1/2 c yellow cornmeal
1/4 c flour
2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax meal plus 6 tbsp water)
2 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c cheddar shreds (vegan)
1/2 c mozzarella shreds (vegan)
1/4 c jalapeno’s chopped ( more or less depending on spice)
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 c plant-based milk of choice
- Pre-heat the oven to 425*
- In a small bowl combine the flax meal and water and set aside to gel.
- In a large bowl combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Mix well.
- Add the cheeses and jalapeno’s and toss to coat well.
- Add the flax egg and milk and stir to combine well. If the mixture is to dry for you then add more milk 1/4 cup at a time until desired consistency. Let sit for 10 minutes. This allows the cornmeal to soften so the cornbread will not be so crumbly.
- Spray an 8×8 inch baking dish with oil spray.
- Pour in the batter and even out the top.
- Place in the oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until cooked through and the top is slightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- When the cornbread is cooled remove from the dish and cut into squares and serve with vegan butter.