This recipe is not by any means a healthy recipe. I have just adapted the recipe to a more vegan type recipe. This recipe is a great recipe and very easy to do. It is time-consuming and requires a little bit of work but, well worth it.
1 3/4 cup plant-based milk ( unsweetened) such as rice, almond, soy or oat
2/3 cup room temp water
1/4 cup sugar ( any type no liquid)
2 tsp yeast
1/4 cup vegan butter
7 cups bread flour ( can use all-purpose just add 1 tsp gluten flour per cup regular flour)
1 tbsp salt ( I used pink salt)
- In a small bowl combine the water and yeast and stir. Let the yeast bloom about 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a stand mixer (you can do this by hand) combine the milk, water yeast mixture, sugar, butter and half of the flour. Mix until well combined with the beater attachment.
- Remove the beater attachment and attach the dough hook.
- Add the other half of the flour and salt and turn the mixer to speed 1 and allow to mix for 5 minutes.
- turn the mixer to speed 2 and mix for 10 minutes or until the dough forms a ball and pulls from the sides of the bowl. Add more flour or water if needed.
- The dough will be elastic and smooth.
- Remove from the bowl and place on a floured surface. Knead the dough for 10 minutes exactly. the dough will become more smooth and more elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased or buttered bowl and turn to coat evenly. Place a towel over the bowl and place in an oven that is not turn on and let the dough rise for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and punch the dough down. Knead for 2 minutes on a floured surface and place back in the bowl. Cover with the towel and place back in the oven for 1 more hour.
- Grease or butter two loaf pans and remove the dough from the oven.
- Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and cut the dough in half.
- take each half of dough and using your hands push the dough into a rectangle and fold the ends together to make a log. Fold the ends of the log together and pinch the dough together at the seams and place in the loaf pan seam side down.
- Place each loaf pan on a sheet pan and cover with the towel. Place back in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the sheet pan with the loaves of bread and turn your oven on to 450* and let the oven get really hot. This should take about 30 minutes. Place the loaves in the oven and let them cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes turn the heat down to 375* and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the bread around in the oven and switch sides and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- The bread will be golden brown and hard to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Brush the loaves of bread with butter (preferably) room temp butter. Allow cooling for 5 minutes in the pan.
- Remove from the loaf pans and place on the cooling rack to cool completely.
- This should take a few hours. When the bread is completely cool you can finally cut into the bread without it falling apart on you.
Do not add to much flour when mixing the dough as this will make the dough to crumbly and dense. Keep in mind the flour you will be adding when kneading the dough.
This is one of my favorite “vegan” type bread. It is so soft, moist and delicious. You can use this bread as you would any other loaf of bread you like. You can make sandwiches, toast or use it in recipes that call for bread.