I love oatmeal. It’s so versatile. You can add almost anything to it and it tastes great. In this version, I give you a more upbeat version of oats but still somewhat easy to make. However, you have to make the brown sugar pecans in advance. They are very easy to make and they are very delicious by themselves or on top of this oatmeal dish.
For the pecans*
1 cup pecans
1 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 350*.
- In a bowl combine the pecans and the oil and mix very well to evenly coat the pecans with the oil. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla and toss to coat evenly.
- Take a sheet pan and line with either parchment or a Silpat and evenly distribute the pecans on the sheet pan and bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container or in a glass jar with a lid.
Now you are ready for the morning portion of this recipe.
For the Oats*
1 cup oats
2 cups water
1/4 cup plant-based milk ( I used Rice milk)
1 tbsp flax meal
1 tbsp brown sugar ( or more if you like it sweet 1 tbsp Is plenty sweet for me)
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of pink salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup fresh frozen blueberries
1/4 cup brown sugar pecans (coarsely chopped)
- In a medium saucepan bring the water to a boil and add the salt. Stir to combine. Add the oats and stir. Bring to a boil and turn the heat to low and simmer while occasionally stirring for about 10 minutes. The mixture should be liquidy but thick. Add the milk and flax and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, the pecans and the blueberries and stir to combine. Remove from heat and allow to sit for about 2 minutes. Stir and pour into a serving bowl and top with more pecans.