This is one of my favorite spins on the traditional falafel that I have created and love. I created this recipe with curry in my mind. It worked really well, And It stuck as a staple in our kitchen. It is easy to make and it tastes so good.
It is all blended in the food processor and baked to a delicious little patty. It is packed with a wonderful curry flavor and pairs really well with vegan tzatziki or cashew cream sauce. It is a quick throw together that you can pair with a salad, put in a pita or make burgers. Either way, it is all delicious.
2 cans of chickpeas (drained, rinsed and reserve the liquid)
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 small onion diced
1/4 c. parsley chopped roughly
3/4 tbsp curry powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
3/4 tsp salt or to taste
1/2 tsp pepper
3 tbsp aquafaba (chickpea liquid)
1/4 to 1/2 cup brown rice flour or oat flour
- Preheat the oven to 375*
- In a food processor combine all of the ingredients except for the flour. Pulse until combined and mixture is creamy, and some of the mixture still has a few lumps of chickpeas left.
- Add 1/4 cup of the flour and blend. The mixture should be slightly sticky but holds its shape when formed into a patty. Add more flour if needed. Don’t make the mixture to dry, make sure it has some moisture in the mixture.
- Take about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the mixture and form into patties and place the patties on a parchment-lined baking sheet pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and gently flip the patties over and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown but do not overcook them as they will get dry in the oven.
- Remove and let cool slightly before serving.
I like serving these particular falafels over a salad. I place some butter lettuce, romaine, spinach in a bowl and toss. I take the lettuce mixture and place some in a smaller serving bowl along with some cooked brown rice, falafels tomatoes, avocado and drizzle over either tzatziki sauce or cashew cream sauce.
This is a perfectly filling and delicious lunch or dinner meal.