This is one of my most favorite recipes. I make this a lot during the winter. It is a stick to your ribs type of chili. Its the most perfect chili recipe I have created. It is so easy to make. A one pot wonder. You are definitely going to love this one.
You will fool the pickiest eater. I know I have. I have been making this for a while now and they are none the wiser and have no clue it is vegan.
2 lb gardein vegan ground beef
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
salt and pepper
2 tbsp dried onion flakes
1 tbsp oregano flakes
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1 28 oz can tomato sauce
2 (8-10 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can dark kidney beans drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can light kidney beans drained and rinsed
1/4 c cornmeal ( I use yellow)
1/2 c water
- In a large pot add in the gardein vegan ground beef, garlic, and a little bit of water. Over medium heat cook until warmed through and slightly browned.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, onion flakes, oregano and ground red pepper. Cook for 1 minute to toast the seasonings.
- Add the tomato sauce, fire roasted tomatoes, and both kidney beans. Cook for 30 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- In the meantime, combine the cornmeal and water to a bowl and whisk together until well combined. Set aside.
- Add the cornmeal and stir to combine well. This will thicken the chili. Continue to cook for about 15 minutes to make sure the cornmeal is cooked and soft. Check for seasonings and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Serve with vegan cornbread or vegan mac and cheese for another epic dinner (chili mac) which is another family favorite. I topped mine with nooch.
You can omit the salt if you want and you can also add in 1 1/2 cups of cooked lentils for an even better chili. I like mine just like this. I have even used tofu ( two blocks crumbled and browned in a pot with vegan beef broth powder about 2 tbsp, along with vegan Worcestershire sauce 1 1/2 tsp, and 1/2 tsp liquid smoke). You can omit the kidney beans and add in black beans, white beans or any other beans you like.
This is the most perfect recipe and so easily adaptable to fit your dietary needs and taste. give this one a try and post some pics of your recreation and tag me in them on my Instagram @healthyrecipes82. I want to see what you create or if you make this recipe.