I love crockpots. I think a lot of us do. You just add your ingredients and go about your day. The crockpot does all of the work and you have a delicious meal waiting for you. Sometimes you can make some sides to go along with your crockpot meal like pasta or mashed potatoes. You can even make mashed potatoes in the crockpot if you you have two. lol. I do this from time to time when I really don’t want to use the stove during the scorching hot summer.
My recipe for crockpot Swedish Meatballs is super easy and so delicious. You can use frozen meatballs or ground beef and sear them in a skillet. Whichever method you prefer they are sure to please.
Let me share with you how I make them… Two different ways. In the crockpot and in the oven.
1 pkg. Pre-cooked Meatballs (regular size and unseasoned)
1 pct. Onion Soup Mix
1 can. Cream Of Chicken Soup
2 cups. Beef Broth
1 tbsp. Worcestershire
2/3 cup. Sour Cream
1/4 tsp. Allspice
1 – 2 tsp. Parsley
Salt And Pepper – to taste
- Spray your crockpot with oil spray OR you can use a crockpot liner.
- In a bowl combine the soup, soup mix, beef broth, Worcestershire, allspice, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well to incorporate all of the ingredients.
- Add the meatballs and the sauce mixture to the crockpot and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or High for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- After the meatballs have cooked you can add the sour cream ( or plain Greek yogurt) and stir into the sauce. This will help to thicken the sauce as well as add additional flavor. Check the seasoning and adjust to taste.
- You can serve over rice, egg noodles, priced cauliflower, or mashed potatoes. It is delicious on all of the options. You can serve this as is with a slice of bread for dipping in the sauce as well.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE OVEN.
- In a bowl combine 1 lb. ground beef, 2 tbsp onion soup mix, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on a plate or tray. Preheat the oven to 375*.
- Once you get all of the meatballs shaped preheat an oven-safe skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add some of your meatballs ( you may have to do this in two batches) and sear on all sides until golden. Remove to a plate and set aside. They will not be completely cooked through at this point. ( After you cook your meatballs and remove them to a plate, you can add diced onion and cook until tender)
- To your skillet add your broth and scrape up any bits on the bottom of the skillet. Add the soup, soup mix, Worcestershire, allspice, parsley, salt, and pepper. Whisk until combined and smooth. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the meatballs back in and gently stir or spoon some of the sauce over the meatballs. Place in the preheated oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. Remove from the oven.
- Add the sour cream ( or plain Greek Yogurt) and stir until the sour cream is completely combined with the sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
One thought on “Crockpot Swedish Meatballs”