If you love pasta alfredo then you will fall in love with this dish. This is the original creamy dish that you know. However, this is not the alfredo you know from those pasta jars or restaurants. It is similar but it is not. If that makes sense. All will be revealed as we make this wonderful pasta dish. The cream was not added to this recipe until Italian migrants came to America and added it to the dish. There are a few ways to make the “”sauce” I will share all three with you. These are not my recipes and you can find them on google. lol.
One of three ways is to order “Panna Da Cucina” from amazon. You can find it here https://amzn.to/3QOa5iJ It is really good. You can also make Panna Da Cucina if you prefer. Here are two recipes for you to try. They are both easy to make and are really good.
1/2 cup cold whole milk
2/3 cup sunflower oil
a pinch of salt
Combine the milk and salt in a blender and blend on medium-low speed. Slowly drizzle in the oil and blend until thickened. Pour the mixture into a bowl with a lid and chill for 4 to 6 hours or overnight before using. * I use it right away because I always forget to make it ahead of time. lol
3 tbsp butter
1 cup cream or half and half
a pinch of salt
Add the butter and cream to a pan over medium-low heat. Season with a pinch of salt. Whisk and bring to a simmer. Whisk until the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and cool. Pour into a bowl with a lid and chill for 4 to 6 hours. I also use this right away after it has cooled slightly.
Now that you have 3 options to choose from ( I have used all three and they work really well) I can share with you how to make this easy, simple, yet very delicious meal.
1 Serving (about 1 cup) of Panna Da Cucina
1 lb Tortellini pasta ( I keep it light with a tortellini filling that is light like mushroom or cheese)
- Prepare the Panna Da Cucina recipe that you prefer. Set aside until you are ready to use.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once it is boiling salt the water with about 1 tbsp or so of salt. Not table salt.
- Add the tortellini and cook according to the package directions. Reserve about 1 cup of pasta water. Set it aside. You will need this later.
- Drain the pasta and add the pasta back to the pan. Turn the heat to low and add the Panna Da Cucina and stir together gently. Be careful not to break apart the tortellini. Add a bit of the pasta water until the pasta sauce is nice and creamy. I typically use about 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of pasta water. You can add however much of the pasta water that you like.
- This serves about 3 people so spoon some of the pasta into serving dishes and top with a bit of grated parmesan cheese. I usually add a bit to the sauce and mix before serving and adding more cheese on top.
- I usually serve this with a simple side salad that is dressed with olive oil, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. You can serve however you like. The salad makes this rich pasta a bit lighter. In my opinion.
- I also drizzle a bit of olive oil on the top of the pasta before serving.
- You can top this with fresh parsley and pepper.
- However you make this sauce or purchase it online, it is delicious. I highly recommend this easy recipe as it is fairly budget-friendly and very filling.
- Don’t forget to save some of the pasta water as this will make the sauce very creamy. The starches from the pasta water bind with the sauces and just make them velvety and creamy.