Tomato soup is an all-time classic. It never goes out of style. It is easy to make and so delicious. It is truly a family favorite and no matter the time of year it is a soup for the soul. It is comforting and nostalgic. With simple ingredients, you can make a bold and tasty soup that will comfort you to your core.
Tomato soup is not only good for warming you up in the cold winter months but it also comforts you when you are not feeling well or if you want a lighter dinner that fills you up. Whatever the case may be this soup is perfect.
1 onion- diced
1 tbsp butter
salt and pepper – to taste
1 large can or three regular size cans of diced tomatoes
1 to 2 tsp garlic – minced
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
4 cups chicken broth or bone broth
1/2 cup cream OR 3/4 cup half and half
1/4 cup sugar (optional)
- In a large stock pot over medium heat add the butter and onion. Cook until tender. Can add a bit of salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or up to 45 minutes. Can add more broth if needed. Stir to prevent burning.
- Once you have cooked this to your desired time, Remove it from the heat.
- Blend with a handheld blender (stick blender) ( see below for blender instructions) until smooth.
- Once smooth place back on the heat on low heat and add the cream. Stir to combine. At this point, you can add a bit of sugar (to your taste) as you like. I don’t typically add the same amount every time I make this. It depends on the sweetness of the tomatoes. If you don’t prefer sugar in the soup you can leave it out. This is optional and up to you.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve as desired.
- FOR THE BLENDER: Place hot soup in a blender less than half full. You do not want to fill the blender completely up with hot soup. Attach the lid and remove the center cap from the blender. If your blender does not have a center cap to remove then place the lid loosely on top or cover with a hand towel. Once the center cap is removed from the cap on the blender, place a hand towel over the hole and turn the blender on low. You do not want to turn it on high as you will run the risk of hot soup on you and your kitchen. It is not worth the risk. Blend the soup for about 10 seconds and turn the blender off. Do this until the soup is smooth. The towel will help the steam escape so you do not explode hot as fire soup on you. Pour the soup back into the pot and follow the remaining directions.
- Serve as desired or with grilled cheese.
- You can add green onion, cheddar cheese, red pepper flakes, or olive oil to the top of the soup if so desired. You can also add red pepper flakes to the soup when cooking or add cayenne pepper to punch up the heat and make it spicy. You can also add hot sauce as well. However you decide to make this, it is delicious.