2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt ( 1 tsp coarse salt or 1/2 tsp fine salt)
1/2 to 2/3 cup of water
1/2 stick unsalted butter – cubed and cold
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Add the butter and mix with your hands until crumbly. Add the water and knead the dough until the dough forms a ball. Place on a lightly floured surface and continue to knead for 4 to 5 minutes. It should feel like the consistency of play dough and it will not stick to your hands. Flatten the dough out slightly and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill until ready to fill.
- When ready to fill, roll the dough out, into a log shape, on a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 10 to 12 even pieces ( see YouTube video for reference). Roll each piece into a 6 inch circle (round). You are now ready to fill your empanadas.
1/2 cup mayo
2 tbsp bread and butter pickles – chopped fine
1 tbsp onion – chopped fine
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp mustard
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Check for seasoning and adjust if needed. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and chill until ready to use.
BACON CHEESE BURGER FILLING.
4 slices of bacon – cut into pieces
1/2 onion – chopped
1 lb. ground beef
salt and pepper
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 cup cheddar cheese – more if you want to add it to the filling later
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp mustard
1/4 cup prepared sauce ( recipe above)
- Preheat the oven to 400*. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium low heat add the bacon and cook until lightly browned. Add the onion and ground beef. Cook until the beef is no longer pink and the onions are tender.
- Add the salt, pepper, brown sugar, worchestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, ketchup, mustard, prepared sauce, and the cheddar cheese. mix well and cook until the cheese is melted. Remove from heat to cool slightly.
- Place your prepared empanada dough circles on your work surface. Using a spoon, evenly distribute the filling equally onto your empanada dough circles just slightly off center. You can add more cheddar cheese if you like at this point. Fold your dough over the filling and crimp the edges with a fork or you can fold the edges over onto itself for a “rolled” effect. I opt for the fork because it works better for me.
- Place your prepared empanadas on to your prepared sheet tray. Lightly brush with an egg wash or lightly spray with oil spray.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- You can deep fry these if this is what you prefer. That is up to you.
- Serve with the sauce on the side to dip your empanadas in.
- You can use prepared pie dough, cresent dough, or prepared empanada dough.
- If you do not like bread and butter pickles, use dill pickles or pickle relish.
One thought on “Bacon Cheese Burger Empanadas”