These biscuits are so good and they freeze well so you can heat them up for a quick breakfast in the morning or at work. The chicken is crispy and seasoned perfectly and it pairs well with the spiciness of the pepper in the biscuits. Whip these up for a family breakfast on the weekend or prep them for the week. They are really easy and are super delicious. Top them with whatever topping you like and it is the perfect breakfast.
INGREDIENTS: MARINADE AND BREADING
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups of flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
FOR THE BISCUITS:
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup powdered milk
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp fine salt
1 tbsp cracked black pepper
1/4 cup Crisco or lard
1 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 425*.
- In a bowl combine the flour, powdered milk, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 tbsp pepper. Whisk together well. Cut in the crisco until crumbly. Add the buttermilk and stir to combine with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Lightly flour your work surface and turn the dough out on to the floured surface. Pat the dough out slightly and fold the dough over on to itself. Do this about 4 to 5 times. This creates layers in your biscuits. On the final time, pat the dough out to about 3/4 of an inch and using a biscuit cutter or you can cut the dough in squares ( I did this in the video). Place the dough onto a greased or buttered sheet tray or cast iron skillet. Brush the tops with melted butter if you like and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the tops are golden and they are cooked through. This should make about 6 to 10 biscutis depending on how big you cut them out. I make a medium sized biscuit so that way it is similar in size to the chicken. Remove when done and set aside to cool down.
- In the meantime, while the biscuits are baking, cut the chicken in half length way and width way. Each piece of chicken should make 4 individual cuts of chicken. You should have 8 pieces in total.
- In a bowl add the buttermilk and chicken and let the chicken marinate for the duration on the bake time of the biscuits.
- In a seperate bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- In a large skillet ( I use cast iron but use what you have on hand ) fill the skillet up with oil about 1/4 to 1/3 inch deep. Turn heat to medium low and allow the oil to get hot.
- In the meantime, while the oil is heating up, Dip the chicken into the flour mixture, back into the buttermilk, and then back into the flour mixture to get a double coating on the chicken. Place on a plate or tray until you get all of the chicken coated.
- When the oil is hot, carefully place the chicken into the oil ( making sure to lower into the oil away from you so you do not get splashed with oil ). Cook for 3 1/2 – 4 minutes on side one. Turn the chicken over and cook on side two for about 2 to 3 minutes. Make sure the chicken is cooked through and the crust is nice and golden brown. Do not turn the heat up to medium or medium high as this will cook the outside fast the center of the chicken will be under cooked. We don’t want that. We want tender, juicy, and crispy chicken with coating.
- Remove from the pan and place on a wire race that has been placed over a sheet tray lined with paper towel to catch the grease drippings. Let rest while you cook the remaining chicken.
- Cut the biscuits in half and add your chicken patty to the middle and top with what ever your heart desires. We like spicy mayo but you can top it with what ever you like.
- To make the spicy mayo – 1/2 cup mayo and hot sauce of choice and to your taste preferance. Stir to combine.
- You can add chic-fil-a sauce or top with ketchup and jalapenos… the world is your oyster. You do you.
- To freeze – place the chicken patty into the biscuit and wrap in wax or parchment papper and then wrap in foil. Place in a freezer safe bag. Will keep up to 2 months. Make sure to lable your bag so you know what they are and when the end date is.
- To reheat – you can do this two different ways. You can remove from the wrapping and place on a sheet tray seperately and heat for 10 minutes or until warmed through, Or you can remove from the wrapping and place on a papper towel or plate, place a damp paper towel on the top and heat for 1 to minutes or until warmed through. PLEASE DO NOT REHEAT IN A MICROWAVE WITH THE FOIL ON. PLEASE REMOVE THE FOIL BEFORE PLACING THE MICROWAVE.
- Great for and easy week day breakfast, a quick grab and go for a work day, or a school morning breakfast.