When it comes to easy, simple, and delicious….You can not get more easy and delicious than sausage and peppers. It is the one pan meal for the win every time. You can throw it all in a pan or a sheet tray and it can be on the table in less than 30 minutes. You can whip up some mashed potatoes as a side or serve it on hoagie/sub buns. It is so good and so easy… Here is our favorite recipe for this simple dish.
1 lb sausage ( I use what ever I have on hand at the time) I usually have smoked sausage – sliced 1/3 in thick
1 onion – sliced
1-2 bell peppers – sliced
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic – minced
2 tbsp basil – chopped (2 tsp dried)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 cup chicken broth – your favorite brand
red pepper flakes – to taste (optional)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and sausage and cook for about 5 minutes or until the sausage get a bit of color to it. Slightly golden. Remove to a bowl or plate and set aside.
- Add a bit more oil if needed and add in the onion and peppers. Cook until slightly tender. About 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic, basil, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Toss together and let cook for 1 minute.
- Add the sausage back in as well as the chicken broth. Cook until the broth has reduced. Check the seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Once the broth has reduced remove from heat and serve.
- Serve as main dish with sides or on sub buns with fries.
- Use what ever style of sausage you like. I almost always have smoked sausage in my freezer. I also like to use chicken or turkey sausages as well.
- You can double or triple this recipe to fit your family.