I think couscous is the most easy and versatile side dish. You can add a lot of different things to it and it is either a side dish or a main dish. Today I am sharing with you a very simple and easy yet very delicious side dish that we love to make during the summer. It is great either warm or cold. I also love serving this as a main dish with grilled chicken.
Let’s get to it.
2 3/4 c. chicken broth
juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 c. ( 1 box) plain unflavored couscous
zest of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp fresh thyme – chopped
3/4 c. fresh basil – chopped (loosely packed)
1/4 c. parsley – chopped
1/3 to 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
- In a sauce pan add the chicken broth and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
- Add in the couscous and lemon juice and stir to combine. Place the lid on and let stand for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a bowl combine the lemon zest, salt, pepper, thyme, basil, parsley and olive oil. Whisk together until well combined. Set aside.
- When the couscous is ready fluff with a fork to break up the pasta. Give the dressing a whisk again to re-combine and add to the couscous. Gently toss the couscous and dressing together to combine well.
- Pour on to a serving platter and serve.
- you can add 1/4 cup of slivered almonds for a slight crunch.
- you can sub out the couscous for quinoa for a more earthy flavor and a different texture.
- You can add a more citrus flavor by adding lime or orange zest and juice for a different flavor.