This recipe is so easy and delicious. I have been making this for quite a long time and it is just one of those recipes that never gets old. It is so versatile and adaptable so you can add in any type of veggies you like. I think that this is why I love this recipe so much is because I can use the vegetables I have on hand and it turns out perfect every time. I was not until I got my hands on my very first instant pot that I learned to make this in the instant pot. It took a few trials and errors before I finally got the perfect time down.
So, let’s get into it!
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 red onion – diced
1 bell pepper – seeded and diced
1/2 zucchini – diced
1/2 yellow squash – diced
salt and pepper – to taste
2 cups quinoa – rinse and drained
3 cups chicken broth
juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon (optional)
1/2 cup pecans – chopped
1 cup spinach – chopped
1/2 tsp cardamon
1 tsp parsley
- In a dutch oven over medium low heat, add the olive oil, onion, bell pepper, zucchini, squash, and a little salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are tender. About 5 minutes or so.
- Add the quinoa and mix well. Add the chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Add in the lemon juice, parsley, salt, pepper, and cardamon and stir. Bring to a boil and turn heat to low and cover with a lid and let cook for about 15 minutes. Turn heat off and let stand 10 minutes. Do not remove the lid. be patient and let the quinoa stand the 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the lemon zest, spinach and pecans and fluff with a fork while mixing in the spinach and pecans. Check for seasoning and add more if needed. Spoon in to a serving bowl or plate and serve.
FOR THE INSTANT POT:
- Add a bit of oil to the base of the instant pot to prevent sticking. Add in all of your ingredients in no specific order. ( You can add the spinach and pecans last if you want as I do it either way) Give it a mix and attach the lid. Set to seal and set the manual button to 1 minute. After it cooks the 1 minute let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes before releasing the pressure valve. Be careful as it is VERY HOT. Use a long handled spoon to release the valve. Give the mixture a fluff with the fork ( add in the spinach and pecans at this point if you didn’t earlier) and check for seasoning. Add more if needed and spoon into a serving dish and serve.
- You can use any vegetables you have on hand. You can omit the pecans if you do not like them or allergic. you can use any other nut or seed if you prefer.