The cooler weather months are just perfect for soups, stews, chili’s. Today I am sharing with you a wonderful stew. This recipe is so easy and delicious. It requires a bit of cooking (stewing) but it is well worth it. You can also make this in the crockpot if you prefer. I will leave the instructions at the bottom of this for the crockpot version.
This recipe has very few ingredients but it is so flavorful and light. It really packs in the flavor. So let’s get into the recipe…
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 to 2 lbs stew meat
1 onion – diced
5 cups beef broth
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 large sweet potato – peeled and diced
4 large carrots – peeled and diced
4 tbsp flour
1/2 cup water
1 bay leaf
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat add the oil and butter. Let come to temp.
- Season the stew meat with salt and pepper and in two batches, sear the stew meat on both sides. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the worcestershire sauce and tomato paste and stir to combine. cook for 1 minute. Add the paprika, brown sugar, and bay leaf. Cook for 1 minute. This helps release the flavors of the tomato paste and seasoning.
- Add the broth and stir. Bring to a boil and turn the heat to low. Cover with a lid and let cook for 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Add more water only if needed.
- Remove the lid carefully and add the sweet potatoes and carrots. Carefully remove the bay leaf and let cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the flour to the water and mix well. While stirring slowly and carefully add the flour slurry to the stew and stir to combine well. Let cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. This will not be a very thick stew as it is a lighter version. If you want it more of a thicker consistency you can add more slurry or add a cornstarch slurry.
- Check the seasoning of the stew and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Serve and enjoy!
- for the crock pot version.
- Add the sweet potatoes, onion, and carrots to the bottom of the crockpot. Season the flour (1/4 cup) with salt and pepper and coat the meat with the flour. Add this to the crock pot. Combine the broth, salt, pepper, paprika, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, oil, and butter in a bowl and mix well. Pour over the ingredients in the crockpot. turn the crock pot on low and let cook for 6 to 8 hours. or high for 4 to 5 hours. Stir at the end to combine and serve. – Check for seasoning before serving-