We all know and love pancakes. There are so many variations of pancakes out there but If I had to pick one……These would be my absolute favorite. They are soft, fluffy, slightly sweet and they taste just like a vanilla cake. Just without the icing, but the maple syrup and berries make up for it. They are so good!
I often make a big batch of these to keep in the freezer so I can grab a few in the morning and toss them in the microwave with a damp paper towel and they are good to go. Just as good as the day I made them. They are freezer friendly so they keep very well. I just stack them in a freezer safe bag and chunk it in the freezer. They usually keep for about 2 weeks for us. When I make a huge batch of these I usually have them every day for breakfast with a side of fruit and yogurt.
So, without any further ado…. Let’s get going… These are making me hungry already…
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp fine salt
1 tbsp baking powder
4 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
butter – for the pan
- In a bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, sugar, and baking soda. Mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl combine the buttermilk, milk, vanilla, and the egg. Mix well and add to the dry ingredients. Whisk together until just combined. You don’t want to over mix the batter because the batter will become slightly tough.
- Let sit while you heat up your pan.
- Over medium low heat, add a pat of butter and let melt.
- Ladle about 1/3 cup of the batter to the pan. Let the batter sit until bubbles form. When the bubbles pop but do not fall back in on itself you are ready to flip. This should take between 2 to 3 minutes depending on how high or low your heat is.
- Carefully flip the pancake and let it cook 1 to 2 minutes longer on the other side. Remove from the pan and on to a large plate. Do not stack the pancakes on one another as it will steam them and make them soggy. Kind of stagger them on the plate so they get air around them.
- now you are ready to serve.
You can serve these however you prefer. It is completely up to you how you top them. ENJOY!