When it comes to side dishes you can’t beat the classics. Carrot Salad is a classic dish that has been on many southern tables for generations. It is light, crisp and full of flavor. Every southern family has their own spin on this classic and I am 100% sure they are all simply delicious.
The sweetness of the raisins paired with a slight tang of lemon and orange is bright and flavorful. The nutmeg in the background adds just enough where you say… hmmm… What is that? It is not over powering and adds a slight hint of earthy flavor. I can not describe the flavor of this dish and do it justice. You will just have to try it. lol. It is so tasty.
So, without any further ado…. let’s get right in to it.
4-6 carrots grated
1/2 c. raisins
1 apple – peeled and diced small
1/3 c mayo ( more if needed)
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
zest of 1 orange
Juice of 1/2 orange
1 orange – segmented
1/4 tsp salt
- In a bowl add the raisins and pour over just enough hot water to cover. Let steep 10 minutes and drain. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the mayo, sugar, honey, lemon juice, nutmeg, orange zest, apple, and salt. Set aside
- In a large bowl combine the carrots, raisins, and the orange segments along with any juice from the orange. You can squeeze the remaining orange pulp for more juice if needed. Toss to combine.
- Add the mayo mixture and toss to combine well. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours up to over night. When ready to serve remove and stir to combine.
- You can use either apple or pineapple with this dish. I switch it up according to what I have on hand and sometimes I use both. They bring the dish their own unique flavor to the dish with either one you use.
- You can also throw in 1/3 cup of pecans or walnuts for an extra crunch.
- If you are not a nutmeg fan simply omit and use cinnamon or just leave it out all together.
How every you switch it up it is so delicious.
Hope you enjoy!