I am so excited that you stopped in to check out this recipe. This is one of our family favorites. Yes, We have a lot of family favorites. You can not put a price on good comfort food. I usually make this during the winter but every now and again I make this in the summer… well, Just because it’s that good. The flavors in this dish are fantastic. It is easy to throw together. The hardest part you have is waiting. This dish requires to cook at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours but, it is so worth the wait. So let’s get into the recipe.
1 tbsp Avocado Oil
2 lbs Hamburger Meat
1 Red Onion, Chopped
2 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Pepper
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
2 tsp minced Garlic
3/4 tsp Garlic Powder
3/4 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 1/2 tbsp Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp Hot Chili Oil
1 can Tomato Sauce + 1 can Water
1 can Stewed Tomatoes, Chopped
1 can Rotel Tomatoes with Diced Green Chilies
1 can Tomato Paste
1 can Dark Red Kidney Beans, Drained and rinsed
1 can Red Beans, Drained and rinsed
1 to 2 tsp Sugar
- In a large dutch oven or large stew pot add in 1 tbsp avocado oil. Turn heat to medium-high. Add in the hamburger meat and cook until cooked through. Do not season the meat as it will come out when you drain your meat later.
- After the meat has cooked, Drain off any excess fat from the pan. Place the meat back into the pan over medium-high heat.
- Add in the onions, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic, garlic and onion powder, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, and hot chili oil. Toss to coat the meat well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. This allows the spices to release their flavor.
- Add in the tomato sauce, water, stewed tomatoes, Rotel with chilies, and tomato paste and stir to combine the tomato paste really well.
- Continue to add in the beans that have been drained and rinsed along with the sugar. Stir to combine well and cover with the lid. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours stirring occasionally. You should not have to add more water but if you find yourself needing to only add 1/2 cup at a time and only if needed. If you add to much water you will turn your chili into a soup really quickly.
- When you are ready to serve, remove from the heat and add any topping you like. We serve ours with cheese and cornbread.