In this recipe, I will show you our favorite recipe for chili. It is very easy to make and tastes very delicious. It is sweet and spicy and just good. You can easily make this dish vegan. I Love adding the vegan ground meat or lintels to the recipe often and omitting the ground beef. They are all very tasty. I serve my chili with cornbread or rolls.
2 lbs ground beef
1 onion diced
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can green chilies
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup water
chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
3 cloves garlic minced
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin powder
red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 can Kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large pot ( I use a cast iron pot) Add 1 tbsp of oil ( I use avocado oil spray or olive oil spray)
- add the diced onion and cook until lightly golden brown. Add the ground beef and cook until the beef is fully cooked. Remove from the heat and drain off the fat. If you are making the vegan version you can add in the vegan meat or lentils and go from there.
- Put back on the heat about medium heat. Add in the remaining ingredients. At this point, you can tone down or amp up the heat from the chipotle peppers and red pepper flakes. Add to your taste. I add half the can of chipotle peppers that have been chopped well and added to the chili but you can add to your heat tolerance.
- Once you have added everything to the pot stir and bring to a boil. Add the lid to the pot and turn the heat to low. Stirring occasionally. Cook for 45 minutes. When done check for seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Serve warm with shredded cheese, onions, salsa, Pico de gayo, sour cream, avocado, cornbread or whatever your heart desires.