Who doesn’t like pancakes? They come in all shapes, sizes, and flavors. These happen to be my favorite. The sweetness of the blueberries with the tartness of the lemon zest. Absolutely divine.
These pancakes are not gluten-free but you can absolutely make them that way. They are light, fluffy, and slightly sweet and tart. You can’t fail with these. The batter makes about 6-8 pancakes but you can double up the recipe to make more or half the amount to make less.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
zest of 1 lemon ( i used Meyer lemon but you can use a regular lemon as I do, I just had Meyer on hand)
1 tbsp sugar ( I used coconut sugar but any kind you have on hand will work)
1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen, thawed)
1/2 to 3/4 cup of rice milk
vegan butter (about 1 tsp)
1 tbsp flax seed plus three tbsp water
- In a small bowl combine the flax seed and water and stir. set aside to gel.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. whisk to combine well.
- In a glass jar combine the flax egg and rice milk and mix well to combine.
- Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients a little at a time. You want a thick but pourable batter. Add the blueberries and mix. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, Melt the butter. When the butter is melted, Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the hot pan. Don’t overcrowd the pan. I do two at a time.
- Allow the pancakes to cook for about 2 minutes or so on the first side. The batter will start to bubble, and when the bubbles no longer fill themselves back in and the sides of the pancakes are set slightly, carefully flip them over. Allow them to cook an additional 1 to 1 1/2 minutes to cook through.
- Remove from the pan and onto a plate.
I drizzled over peanut butter and maple syrup. Serve!
- If you want to make this non-vegan, sub out the Flax egg, vegan butter, and rice milk for egg, whole milk, and unsalted butter. Add in the juice of 1 lemon as well as the zest.