With the winter months getting colder, I find myself making soup more and more. Soup is so versatile and so warm and filling without all the fuss. You can make all sorts of soup, chili, and stews. This soup is one of my go-to soups on a busy day because it is so simple to make and so delicious.
The flavor in this soup is complex and yet it is super creamy and smooth. It makes for an easy weeknight meal if you pair it with crusty vegan bread. You can also pair this with a salad and make a more filling meal. The roasted flavor of the Butternut Squash adds an extra layer of flavor to the soup, Paired with the Walnut parmesan cheese is simply delicious.
Here is what you will need.
1 Butternut Squash (peeled, seeded and diced into 1-inch cubes)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Coconut oil (optional)
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 425* and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl add the squash, 1 tsp of coconut oil along with a little salt and pepper. Spread evenly on the parchment lined sheet pan. Cook for about 35 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly while you gather your spices.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor add the squash, the spices, vegetable broth and coconut milk. Blend until smooth ( being careful as hot foods expand in the blender and processor, Cover with cloth to keep from being burned)
- Check for thickness and seasonings and adjust to taste. Add more broth or milk to desired thickness. Pour into a large pot and heat until bubbly and warmed through. Pour into a serving bowl and top with walnut parmesan cheese and pepitas. Serve warm with a side salad and crusty vegan bread.