Spring is finally here and the weather is warming up. It is time to break out the grills, light foods, and salads.
This easy salad is so easy to put together and is perfect for all of your springtime/summertime backyard grilling. It can be served cold or at room temp. It is so delicious.
Let me show you what you will need.
3 cups cherry tomatoes – halved
1 cucumber – diced
Juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
1 (10 oz) box of plain couscous ( I like the garlic and herb)
2 1/2 cups water or chicken broth
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup mint – chopped
1/2 cup parsley – chopped
2 scallions – chopped
1/3 cup pine nuts
- In a large bowl combine the tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a bowl add the couscous. Set aside.
- Add the water, lemon zest, 2 tbsp oil, and a bit of salt to a boil. Pour the mixture over the couscous and cover with plastic or a lid. Let stand for about 5 to 10 minutes to fully absorb the liquid. Fluff with a fork.
- Add the tomato mixture, couscous, pine nuts, mint, parsley, and remaining oil, and toss well. Check the seasoning and adjust to taste if needed.
- Chill covered or serve at room temp.
- This is great for picnics and lunch at the river or beach. It is so versatile as you can add any veggies you like to this and it is great.
- You can add any style of nuts that you prefer if you do not have, like, or can not find pine nuts.
- You can also sub the fresh herbs for dried herbs. Just add enough to your liking.