We love a good chicken noodle soup. This soup is hearty and very filling so it will warm you up and keep you full. I love making chicken noodle soup all year long because it is super easy to throw together and full of wonderfully delicious veggies. This version is a more hearty version of the original. It is absolutely delicious.
Let me show you what you will need.
2 chicken breasts – boneless/skinless
2 carrots – finely diced or thinly sliced
2 celery stalks – finely diced or thinly sliced
1 onion or 1/2 a large onion – finely diced or thinly sliced
1/2 cup peas
4 cloves garlic – minced
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper – to taste
2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
5 cups chicken broth – more if needed
1 cup heavy cream
8 oz cooked egg noodles
- To the slowcooker add all of the ingredients except for the parsley, cream, peas, and egg noodles.
- Stir and cover with the lid and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or on high for 2 to 4 hours.
- Remove the lid and shred the chicken and place it back into the slowcooker. Cover and let it continue to cook.
- In the meantime cook the egg noodles in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and place the egg noodles in the slowcooker along with the peas. Cook for about 5 minutes just to warm the peas through. Add the cream and remove the bay leaf. Check the seasoning and adjust it to your liking. Top with the fresh parsley and stir.
- Serve with crusty bread.
- You can add milk, almond milk, half and half, or any other milk of your liking. I like to use heavy cream for its richness. You can even leave it out if you prefer. It is not as creamy but it will be delicious.
- If you want a more creamy rich flavor you can add a 1/2 or a whole block of cream cheese at the beginning of the cooking process so it has time to melt into the soup. Stir to melt the cream cheese after you add the chicken back into the slowcooker after shredding it. Follow the other instructions.
- You can add any other small pasta of choice or broken spaghetti pasta if that is what you can find at your store if you can not find egg noodles.
- Serve as desired.