This rice is a one-pan side dish and it is just one of our many favorites. It is the perfect balance of tomato flavor and spice and is packed with delicious mixed veggies. It is the perfect side dish for any meal.
You can half this recipe if you have a smaller family, but we love to make a big batch and keep it in the fridge for the week for a quick side dish. It is so easy to make and the whole family will enjoy it.
Let’s get started. Here is what you will need for this recipe.
14 oz crushed tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp tomato bouillon granules
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion – diced small
2 cups rice – we use Jasmine but use what you have
2 tsp parsley ( I use dried but if you have fresh I would use about 1/4 cup chopped)
1 tsp salt – or to taste
1/2 tsp pepper – or to taste
1 small pkg mixed vegetables
3 cloves garlic – minced
- In a large dutch oven (or skillet) over medium/low heat add the oil and the onion. Add a bit of salt and pepper and stir. Cook the onions until tender. This should take about 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir. Cook until the rice is lightly golden and slightly fragrant. Be sure to stir because the rice will burn.
- Add the garlic and toss to coat. Cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, broth, tomato bouillon, parsley, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and stir. When the mixture starts to boil turn the heat to low and cover with a lid. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook the rice for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Make sure to keep the lid on so the rice can absorb the liquid.
- Add the veggies and mix the veggies with the rice. Replace the lid and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for about 10 to 15 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Check the seasoning and adjust if needed.
- If you can not find the tomato bouillon you can leave it out. I like to add it because it brings out the tomato flavor of the crushed tomatoes. Plus it adds more flavor. You can add about 1 tbsp of tomato paste if you can not find the bouillon powder.
- If you do not have or wish to use mixed veggies you can add any style of vegetable that you like.
- You can use your favorite style of chicken or vegetable broth.
- You can use your favorite style of rice. I have not tried wild rice but I am sure it would be delicious.
- You can also make this in the instant pot. I would use equal parts water to rice. Leave the remaining ingredients the same. Add the veggies at the end and stir into the rice. place the lid back on and let the rice steam and sit for about 15 minutes before serving.
One thought on “Garden Style Red Rice”