When it comes to potato soup, we love it. It is just so good. There are so many ways you can make this soup and this is one of them. I love making this in my crockpot especially when I am pressed for time or when I am a bit under the weather. It is so easy and it turns out delicious every single time. You can top it with your favorite toppings and it makes it even better.
This soup is perfect year-round but even better during the cold winter months. It warms you up and fills you up as well. There is no better simple soup than this.
Let me tell you how I make it.
2 lbs potatoes (peeled or unpeeled) diced in 1/2 inch cubes
1 carrot – diced
1 onion – diced small
5 cups chicken broth (bone broth or veggie broth works too)
1 cup milk ( I use what I have on hand which is mostly almond milk)
2 cups cheddar cheese – grated
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper – to taste
- To the crockpot add the potatoes, carrots, onions, broth, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Stir together to combine well. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours OR on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Check occasionally to see if your potatoes are tender as well as the carrots and onions.
- When they are tender add in your salt to taste as well as your milk. Stir and cover with a lid. Cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Add the cheese and stir together until all of the cheese is melted.
- You can top with bacon bits, cooked and crumbled bacon, grated cheddar cheese, scallions (green onions), Sour cream or what ever else you would like.
- Add a bit of red pepper flakes to the seasoning mix before cooking for a kick of heat.
- Add some cooked and crumbled bacon during the last 15 minutes of cooking time for a delicious bacon flavor to the soup. We love doing this as well.
- Combine 2 tbsp water and 2 tbsp cornstarch if you want to thicken the soup up a bit. I would add a little at a time until the desired thickness is reached. ( add a little. Stir. Cover and cook 10 minutes before checking the consistency).
- Add some fresh spinach for a pop of green and a delicous added flavor. You can also add a bit of kale during the last 30 minutes of cook time for some wonderful flavor and texture.
- Add some shredded cooked chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken for a delicous flavor as well. It bulks it up more and it becomes even more delicious and filling.
- If you want to see how I make this you can check out my youtube channel. Here is the link