Here is a fun little recipe for all of you. This is a great recipe for your little ones to help you out in the kitchen. It is so easy and tasty. It is a version of hamburgers and fries with a “comfort” spin on it.
So let’s go…
1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion – diced
2 tbsp flour
1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes – undrained
1 cup cheddar cheese – grated
2 cups crinkle-cut french fries
1 clove garlic – minced
1 tsp Lawry’s total seasoning ( or 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, salt, pepper, 1 tsp parsley)
salt and pepper – to taste
1 tsp parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450*.
- In a large skillet (oven safe or cast iron) over medium low heat, add the beef, salt, pepper, and onion. Cook until the meat is cooked throught and the onion is tender. About 5 to 8 minutes. Drain if needed.
- Add the seasoning, garlic, and flour. Stir to combine. Cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and stir to combine. Cook until thickened. This should take about 3 to 5 minutes. If it is to thick add in about 1/4 cup of broth or water.
- Gently press down into the oven safe skillet or into a greased 8×8 inch casserole dish. Sprinkle over the cheese evenly. Add the french fries on top and level out as evenly as best you can. Spray with a bit of oil spray and place in the oven. Bake for about 20 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and the top is nice and golden brown.
- Remove. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with any burger toppings you like or enjoy.
- Add some dill pickle relish to the ground beef mixture for a slightly tangy bite.
- Do not add to much liquid as you want this to be a thick consistency and not to liquidy.
- This is a great meal idea to get your little ones to help you prepare dinner. If kids help in the kitchen they tend to eat what they help you to prepare.
- You can use ground turkey or ground chicken if you prefer.